The Diva Dirty Dozen...
Organic Divas don't put up with toxic personal relationships or toxic personal care products either.
The following is a list of synthetic cosmetic ingredients known or strongly suspected of causing cancer, birth defects or endocrine disruption. When it comes to these chemicals in your cosmetics, Diva don't do it!
- Methyl and Propyl and Butyl and Ethyl Paraben. Linked to breast cancer.
Imidazolindyl Urea. Impurities linked to cancer.
Diazolindyl Urea. Allergies/immunotoxicity. Contamination concerns.
Petrolatum. Can cause highly allergic reactions. Contamination concerns.
Propylene Glycol. Alters skin structure for enhanced skin absorption. A skin irritant that can cause allergic reactions. Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs).
Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Non-reproductive organ system toxicity, irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs). Alters skin structure which allows chemicals to penetrate more deeply into skin.
Stearalkonium Chloride. Non-reproductive organ system toxicity, neurotoxicity, and irritation (skin, eyes or lungs).
Synthetic colors. Developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, and non-reproductive organ system toxicity. For example, synthetic colors may be listed as the following: FD&C Blue 1 Aluminum Lake or D&C Red 27 Lake.
Synthetic fragrances. Neurotoxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity, and miscellaneous concerns.
Phthalates. Developmental/reproductive toxicity, neurotoxicity, hormone disruption, allergies/immunotoxicity, persistence and bioaccumulation, and non-reproductive organ system toxicity. Linked to reproductive birth defects in baby boys. May damage lungs, liver, kidneys.
Triethanolamine. May form carcinogenic compounds called nitrosamines in the body after absorbed - among the most potent cancer-causing agents found.
Reprinted by permission of Ann Louise Gittleman, a true Organic Diva and author of "The Living Beauty Detox Program: The Revolutionary Diet for Each and Every Season of a Woman's Life," San Francisco, HarperSanFrancisco 2001. For more information of Ann Louise's books and specialty products please visit www.annlouise.com or call 800-888-4353.
- Methyl Paraben: Allergies/immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, irritation (skin, eyes or lungs), biochemical or cellular level changes.
- Propyl Paraben: Developmental/reproductive toxicity, endocrine disruption, allergies / immunotoxicity, and non-reproductive organ system toxicity.
- Butyl Paraben: Developmental/reproductive toxicity, allergies/immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity, and biochemical or cellular level changes.
- Ethyl Paraben: Allergies/immunotoxicity, non-reproductive organ system toxicity.